Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A silicon jungle


Hmm wondering what is that? I am actually growing a jungle of chemical. I have seen people using gel and then put those macaroni into it and sell it as souvenir. Maybe now they can try selling this. Supposely the water should gel up however mine is still waterery however my crystal is still able to grow in it.
This is how you can make it.
1- Add 20ml of waterglass (is some form of silica, I just told my saleman and they just get it for me) with 20ml of water mix them in a cup.
2- Then prepare another cup with 10ml HCl (I am not sure about the concentration of HCl as the book did not specify, but I used 1M HCl) and 10ml of water.
3- Pour the mixture from both cup into another cup at the same time so that both mixture can mix. You can add sand in it to make a base. However when I add it in my clear waterglass turn yellow.
4- Thereafter, you can add crystal into it and when it dissolve, the part will be solidify. This will seem that the crystal is growing. However the cup cannot be disturb if not the strand that grow will break due to the movement of the liquid.
So it may not be feasible if selling it as souvenir if not when customer bring it back the "shoot" may break off. Actually mine have some broken off already, that why you can't really see the shoot. Or maybe prepack the mixture, so customer can do it at home by mixing the 2 mixture themselve and then add in the different kind of crystal provided.
This can only be done in school as the things needed is not available outside.

No comments: