Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Making your own lava lamp


Hmm I have tried this before but is not using what is written in the website. They uses Alka-Seltzer tablet which I am not sure what is that. Should be those fizzy tablet that can be dissolve to make a drink. You can click on the link and follow their procedure.

My way is to add oil to fill up 1/2 of the conical flask then add vinegar (with food colouring to colour it) to fill up to 3/4. I do leave some space as when it bubbles the carbon dioxide produced need space. I also did not cap it as the carbon dioxide produce will push my cap/stopper out. So I am not sure why they can cap the tube. Most probably the reaction have ended, but then if ended you can't really see bubbles in the oil unless you shake it. Add a few spatula of baking soda into the mixture. It will react with the vinegar to make tiny bubbles of carbon dioxide gas. These bubbles attached themselves to the blobs of coloured vinegar and cause them to float to the surface. When the bubbles popped, the colour blobs sank back to the bottom of the bottle. This look like a lava lamp which does not cost you much. So try it out yourself!

However the cons is that it only works if you add in the baking soda or the fizzy tablet and there is a saturation point where additional of these substance will not produce the cardon dioxide anymore.

No comments: