Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Parallel or series (electric circuit) ?

Haiz long time never study physics even I always work in the lab. While teaching one of my staff on connection of circuit suddenly realise why when my bulbs connected in parallel will all light up. However when I used the same number and same type of bulb using the same batteries when connected in series not all of them like up, furthermore it is also dimmer when compared with connecting it parallel.

I knew that most of our electric circuit in our household are connected in parallel. I remember that as I know when connected in parallel, if one of the appliance is spoil it will not cut off the circuit so the rest of the appliances can still be work.

Another reason I also found out after conducting the above experiment. Appliance do have resistance itself. When connected in series the resistance is added up together. (Example if I have 3 appliances with 20 ohm resistance each, the total resistance of the circuit will be 60 ohm). However to calculate the resistance of a parallel circuit we uses 1/R (R=resistance). Which mean if the scenario is the same as above, when connected in parallel the total resistance is 1/20 X 3 which is 3/20 ohm.

So you see it? 3/20 ohm compare to 60 ohm no wonder my bulbs cannot like up when connect in series and it is really a waste of electricity as all my current are block by the high resistance. So remember if you want to set up a circuit which need to connect with a lot of appliances make sure you connect them in parallel in order for it to work more efficiently.

For those who have never study physics or science before, please find out yourself how a parallel and series circuit look like ;)

No comments: