Thursday, June 24, 2010

The effect of the colour light on glow in the dark item

My school student was doing on a project on the effect of temperature on glow in the dark item. Initially, I gave them magnetic stirrer that come with hot plate. So one will remain in room temperature and the other one will be heated to 70 degree celsius (controlled by the hot plate).

We observe that the glow in the dark star in hot water discharge faster than the one in room temperature.

After that then I realise that the apparatus used for this Amazing Science Challenge project will be kept by the Science Centre people so we cannot give them such expensive equipment like magnetic stirrer to them. So my lab tech and I are finding ways to heat up the glow in the dark star.

Firstly we used a mug warmer, however it does not warm the water at all. So we tried to invert a beaker wrapped with aluminium foil over a light bulb which gives off heat. It indeed can heat up my water on top (which contain the star) however I realise the heat is so hot that it melts my bulb holder. Finally, we have to give up the idea using heat. Instead, we will try whether different colour light will affect the glow of the star.

We saw in the net that red colour light does not charge the particles in the glow in the dark item (you can refer to the link for info). So we compare red light with normal fluorescence light, indeed it does not charge the star and when I off the light only the star in fluorescence light glow.


No comments: